INSTRUCTIONS : APPOINTMENT/TERMINATION RECORD (DD Form 577)
A DD Form 577 is a Department of Defense form is used for recording appointments and terminations of an officer in military or governmental functions. The form is used to identify and inform the officer of the appointment or the elimination of the appointment.
The DD Form 577 is available on the Department of Defense documentation website or can be supplied through the chain of command.
The first section of the DD Form 577 is to be filled out by the appointing authority.
1. The appointing authority must state the appointing official’s name and title in boxes 1 and 2.
2. In box 3, the appointing authority will identify itself with their Department of Defense component or organization name.
3. The appointing official will sign and date the form in boxes 4 and 5.
4. In section II, the appointing authority will identify the individual being appointed and provide their information, taken from Department of Defense records.
5. Boxes 6 through 11 must contain the name and contact information of the appointed officer. Their name, social security number, organization, title, address and telephone number should be filled in the appropriate boxes.
6. The appointing authority will indicate the date of appointment in box 12.
7. In boxes 13 and 14, the appointing authority will describe the position and the duties that will come with the appointment.
8. After sections I and II are filled out by the appointing authority, the DD Form 577 is to be given to the appointed official, who must acknowledge the appointment, signing boxes 16 and 17.
9. If or when the appointment terminates, the appointing authority can use the filed DD Form 577 and fill in the termination information in Section IV, revoking the appointment. Once revoked, the completed form must be provided to the appointed official to inform him or her of the termination of appointment.