INSTRUCTIONS : STATEMENT IN SUPPORT OF CLAIM (VA Form 21-4138)
A VA Form 21-4138 is the Veteran Affairs Statement in Support of a Claim form that is used to support a claim for benefits. This form is used to provide requested information by Veteran’s Affairs while they are evaluating your claim.
The VA Form 21-4138 is available on the United States Department of Veteran Affairs website.
The first blank boxes require your basic identification information.
1. In the top box, you must provide the name, social security number, and the claims file number of the veteran who is making the claim.
Next, the large box on the first page requires a statement made in connection with the applied for claims.
2. This is the most important section of your VA Form 21-4138.
3. It is important that you write a well thought out statement that supports your claims.
4. Write a draft of your statement.
5. Ensure that your draft includes a very detailed explanation addressing all of the required additional information the Department of Veteran’s Affairs requires. Also ensure that you cover all of your claims.
6. Once you have a completed draft, you can either handwrite your explanation in the box or print it from a computer and attach it. You must also attach any supporting documents you may require.
Finally, you must certify your VA Form 21-4138.
7. Sign and date the VA Form 21-438 at the bottom of the page.
8. Supply your address and phone number contacts
If your statement will not fit in the box on the first page, you may continue your statement in the box on the second page. You may also attached additional pages for your form if you so require.
9. Submit your VA Form 21-4138 to the Department of Veteran Affairs by mailing it to the address provided, ensuring that it gets to the office it needs to be reviewed.