INSTRUCTIONS : SWORN STATEMENT (DA Form 2823)
A DA Form 2823 is a United States Army form for a sworn statement used for a variety of purposes. Sworn statements may be taken in documenting informal events or recording evidence for a formal investigation. The information taken on this form can be provided to non-military law enforcement agencies.
The DA Form 2823 is available on the United States Army documentation website or can be supplied through the Army chain of command.
The army personnel filing this form must first put the general information surrounding the investigation.
1. The location, date, time, and file number must be placed in boxes 1 through 4 in order to properly file the form and to ensure that it is properly documented under Army regulations.
Boxes 5 through 8 are used to identify the party that is giving the sworn statement.
2. The party giving the statement must provide on the document their name, social security number, their rank, and contact information.
Once this basic identifying information has been provided, the party giving the statement must write their name in box 9.
3. By putting their name in box 9, the party is swearing under oath that the statement is accurate and truthful. Failure to provide truthful information can lead to disciplinary action taken.
Box 9 should be filled out using the words of the declaring party.
4. Box 9 can be written by the swearing party or it can be written word for word by another party taking the statement.
5. It is highly important that the statement is neatly written so as to be understood by any other parties that may use the statement.
6. Should the statement not fit on the pages provided, the second page is available. If the provided pages do not support enough space, copies of the second page can be used as additional pages.
7. These additional pages must be identified and initialed by the party giving the statement.
Once the statement has been recorded and all signatures and initials placed in the proper boxes, the person making the statement must provide the affidavit on the final page of the DA Form 2823.
8. Witnesses must be present during the statement and must sign off on the affidavit.
9. Likewise, the party taking the statement must sign off on the DA Form 2823