Form W-7 Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
INSTRUCTIONS : APPLICATION FOR IRS INDIVIDUAL TAXPAYER IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (Form W-7)
A W-7 Form is a United States Internal Revenue Service tax form used to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. An ITIN is required for individuals who must submit an income tax return but do not have and are unable to obtain a United State’s social security number.
The W-7 Form can be obtained through the I.R.S’ website or by obtaining the documents through a local tax office.
Before submitting a W-7 Form, you must ensure that you are not eligible for a social security number. If you are eligible, you must apply for a social security number before using the W-7 Form.
1. First select the reason for requesting an ITIN. If you are applying for one for any reason other than claiming a tax treaty benefit, you must also submit a standard tax return with your W-7.
2. For line 1, state your full name and any previous name given at birth.
3. Put your full address on line 2, to provide the IRS with a mailing address. If you have a P.O. Box, you must follow IRS instructions.
4. If you have a foreign address, put this in line 3. Do not use a P.O. Box.
5. Provide your date, place of birth, and gender in boxes 4 and 5.
6. For lines 6, answer any questions that apply to your circumstances. Include any countries of citizenship, foreign tax identifiers, type of visa, identification documents to be submitted with the W-7 Form, previous TIN numbers, and the name of the college you may be attending.
7. Sign and date at the bottom of the form, also including a phone number. If a delegate has helped you with the form, they must also state their name and relationship to you.
8. File the W-7 Form with any necessary tax returns. Keep a a copy for your records.