INSTRUCTIONS : ANNUAL SUMMARY AND TRANSMITTAL OF U.S. INFORMATION RETURN (Form 1096)
The Form 1096 is a United States Internal Revenue Service tax form used by a corporation who is filing paper forms instead of electronically filing. The 1096 serves as a summary of informational returns that have been sent to the I.R.S.
A Form 1096 can be obtained through the I.R.S’ website or by obtaining the documents through a local tax office.
The form is to be used in conjunction with informational forms, such as the 1098, 1099, 3921, and W-2G forms.
1. In the top left box, supply your company’s name and complete address.
2. You must supply a person to contact in regards to your Form 1096 filings.
3. Provide all contact information for the representative you listed above. Give a phone number where they can be reached, as well as their e-mail address and fax number.
4. Provide either the Employer Identification Number in box 1 or the social security number of the employer in boxes 1 or 2.
5. Go through all filings that are being covered by your Form 1096. Count how many total forms have been sent to the IRS and list that number in box 3.
6. State the total federal income tax withheld in box 4.
7. In box 5, provide the total amount that is reported on the From 1096.
8. From the list provided in box 6, select the type of form that you are sending in to the IRS and that the Form 1096 is covering. You may only select one type of form, if you file additional forms, you must fill out an additional From 1096 for each type.
9. If this is your final From 1096, select box 7.
10. Once completed, submit the Form 1096 to the IRS. Keep a copy for your own records. This form must be submitted on a yearly basis.