Home Name Change Form Petition for Name Change Minor

Form Petition for Name Change Minor

Form Petition for Name Change Minor



In order to change a minor’s name, the minor must live in the county where the petition is filed for at least a year.  The petition cannot be filed if the minor is currently involved in any type of lawsuit. 

“Petition for Name Change Minor Step 1”

While filling out the Petition, you need to fill in all the blanks.  You should consult with an attorney for help with this form and all other forms.  Make copies of this form for all other legal parents and/or guardians.  You’ll also need to complete the cover sheet.

“Petition for Name Change Minor Step 2”

The petitioning parent needs to obtain consent from the other parent in order to file the Petition.  If consent is not obtained, the petitioning parent needs to send Notice of Hearing to the non-consenting parent. 

“Petition for Name Change Minor Step 3”

Take the Petition, Cover Sheet, and Consent to Minor’s Name Change or Notice of Hearing on Petition to the District Clerk’s Office in the minor’s county.  Have the forms notarized. 

“Petition for Name Change Minor Step 4”

Send notices to all interested parties.  If there is no response, a Summons and copy of the Petition needs sent to the party before the hearing.  If a return receipt is acquired by the petitioner, attach the document to the Proof of Service by Mail and file the forms with the court.  If a parent cannot serve another parent or interested party, ask the court to waive the service. 

“Petition for Name Change Minor Step 5”

Attend the hearing.  The minor will probably have to testify, and other contesting parties are allowed to testify as well.  If the judge approves the name change, send notice to all required parties.

“Petition for Name Change Minor Step 6”

Return the signed Order Changing Minor’s Name to the clerk and ask for certified copies to change the minor’s birth certificate and other important documents. 

“Petition for Name Change Minor Step 7”

If the change of name was denied, the petitioning parent can appeal the decision within 30 days of the hearing.  If the name change is granted, you will have to contact the Utah Office of Vital Records and Statistics to change the minor’s birth certificate. 

For more information on changing a minor’s name in Utah, visit the following link: https://www.utcourts.gov/resources/forms/namechange/juvenile/instruct.asp

Download the PDF file .