Home Name Change Form Name Change Packet-Adults

Form Name Change Packet-Adults



This packet is used for adults 18 years of age of older.  All of the forms need completed in black ink.  The Clerk cannot answer questions about filling out the forms, so you may consider hiring an attorney. 

“Name Change Packet-Adults Step 1”

Complete the Petition for Name Change (Form 1) and keep from filling out any other forms at this time.  Take the signed Petition to the Family Law Clerk at the Multnomah County Courthouse and present a valid form of identification.  Pay the filing fee of $158.00 and certified copy fee of $5.00. 

“Name Change Packet-Adults Step 2”

The petitioner then needs to complete the Notice of Name Change Hearing (Form 2).  Leave the room number, hearing date, and time of hearing sections blank.  Take this form to Room 211 of the Multnomah County Courthouse and use the telephone by the name change form by dialing 83185.  Make sure you ask for a hearing date for an adult. 

“Name Change Packet-Adults Step 3”

After receiving a hearing date, write the date on the Notice and post the form on the bulletin board in Room 211.  The form must stay there for at least 14 days before the hearing. 

“Name Change Packet-Adults Step 4”

On the date of the hearing, take down the Notice from the bulletin board and complete the Affidavit of Posting Notice of Name Change Hearing (Form 3) and General Judgment (Form 4).  You’ll need to pay the $10.00 judgment fee before going into the courtroom. 

“Name Change Packet-Adults Step 5”

If the judge approves the change of name, you need to complete Notice of General Judgment (Form 5) and Affidavit of Posting Notice of General Judgment (Form 6).  You need to post Form 5 on the bulletin board in room 211.  If you want more than 1 copy of the Change of Name Decree, you need to pay $5.00 to the Clerk for each certified copy. 

“Name Change Packet-Adults Step 6”

The petitioner will receive a copy of the General Judgment of Name Change in the mail within two days after the hearing.  If you want to change your birth certificate, a certified copy of the General Judgment needs sent to the Center for Health Statistics if you were born in Oregon. 


Download the PDF file .