INSTRUCTIONS : MISSOURI CHILD CUSTODY PETITION (Form CAFC 201)
(USE PAGES 4 to 8 ONLY)
The Missouri Petition for Child Custody is the form required for Missouri residents seeking custody of their children through the court. This petition must be filed in order to obtain a court order for child custody in the state of Missouri.
The Missouri Petition for Child Custody can be obtained by searching online or through the state court.
This form is to be used for seeking any order of child custody. If seeking visitation or child support through the court, you must file additional forms.
1. First you must fill out the case caption information at the top of the form. Include the county, case number, and division number involved with your case.
2. In the first box, you must enter your information on lines 1 through 5. Include your name, your relationship to the child, the type of petition, the last 4 digits of your social security number, and your current mailing address.
3. Provide the same information for the opposing party in the second box on lines 6 through 8.
4. In the third box, you must certify that service of the petition has been made to the opposing party. You must either state that the opposing party is filing a verified answer to the petition or that the petition is to be served at the place of residence of the opposing party.
5. If you have no way of locating the other party, you may provide adequate service via publication, however you must prove you do not know how to locate the opposing party.
6. For the fourth box, indicate the paternity and relationship of the parents to the children. You must either attach birth certificates with the father’s name or attach an administrative judgment of paternity.
7. In the next two boxes, provide any military information, if applicable, and the employment status of both parties seeking custody.
8. On line 15, provide the names and age of each child you are seeking custody.
9. You must provide additional information about the children, including where they reside and who has taken care of the children. Provide an explanation for your children’s living situation.
10. You must attach a parenting plan which outlines your plan for custody. A parenting plan form can be obtained through the court.
11. Sign and certify the petition with a notary present. Provide any attorney representation information at the end of the form.