INSTRUCTIONS : NCOER COUNSELING AND SUPPORT FORM
A DA Form 2166-8-1 is a United States Army form required for an NCO evaluation report. An NCO evaluation report is used for a yearly evaluation of a non-commissioned officer in the United States Army. The form is to be filled out by supervising officers. The DA Form 2166-8-1 is now referred to as a “counseling and support form”, instead of just previously being an evaluation report.
The DA Form 2166-8-1 is available on the United States Army documentation website or can be supplied through the Army chain of command.
Part I requires the basic administrative data about the NCO that is to be evaluated.
1. Include the name, social security number, rank, contact information, and the appropriate rates and codes that identify the NCO.
After completion of the basic information, you must fill out Part II.
2. Part II requires the evaluating officer to provide their own information for the DA Form 2166-8.
3. Boxes B and C require the information from any senior raters or reviewer who is also submitting the evaluation report for the NCO.
4. All raters and reviewers must sign off on the final evaluation report before it is to be sent out. The form also requires that the NCO being reviewed initials this box to affirm his or her superiors.
Parts III and IV are the actual evaluation information to be supplied in the DA Form 2166-8.
5. The duties of the NCO must be supplied, along with descriptions of special emphasis and appointed duties in which the NCO covered over the evaluating year.
6. The evaluation then must take into consideration the NCO’s compliance with the Army’s core values. The evaluating officer will determine whether the NCO has exceeded, met, or failed to meet the standard, as well as provide comments.
On the second page, Part IV continues, and the evaluator must report on 5 specific areas of the NCO’s abilities.
7. The five areas are competence, physical fitness, leadership, training, and responsibility and accountability.
8. The evaluator must state if the NCO exceeds the standard, meets the standard, needs some improvement or needs much improvement in these 5 areas.
Upon completion, the evaluation is ready for submission to the appropriate use through the chain of command.