INSTRUCTION : ALABAMA CHILD CUSTODY PETITION (Form ASBPS-05)
The Alabama Petition for Child Custody is the form required for Alabama residents seeking custody of their children through the court. This petition must be filed in order to obtain a court order for child custody in the state of Alabama.
The Alabama Petition for Child Custody can be obtained by searching online or through the state court.
The form must be used only for the first petition for child custody. If you want to amend a pre-existing child custody order, you must use a different form.
1. First, enter the name of the court proceeding involving your children, including the name of the court and the name of the parties in the top box of the form.
2. On line 1, provide the mother's contact information, including name, age, address, and phone number. Indicate in the box if the mother of the child is married to the father.
3. On line 2, provide the father's contact information, including name, age, address, and phone number. Indicate in the box if the father of the child is married to the mother.
4. Fill out line 3 if you are a person other than the child's mother or father seeking custody.
5. For all children involved, enter their names and dates of birth on line 4. Indicate where the children live and who they currently reside with.
6. State how long they have lived at the residence. If less than 6 months, list the other locations where the children have resided in the past year.
7. If the children have been involved in other family court cases, such as child support, juvenile, or DHR cases, indicate so on line 5 and provide information in the box about theses cases.
8. You can use line 6 to indicate why you should be given custody of the children. You can provide your explanation on the lines or you can attach additional papers with your explanation. Ensure that whatever you state in this explanation is truthful and accurate.
9. Certify the form on line 7 with your signature and date.
10. The form must also be certified by a notary, who will provide their information at the end of the form.
11. Submit your Alabama Petition for Child Custody with the court handling your case. You may need to follow up with additional forms or appearances in front of the judge.