Form I-864 Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act
INSTRUCTIONS : AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT (Form I-864)
Form I-864, also known as the Affidavit of Support Form for family and employment based immigrants. The form I0864 must be filed whenever an immigrant seeks a visa and is being sponsored by a relative, either as a family member or for work.
The form can be found on the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service website, which we will be using to review the form.
Once you have the form I-864, you must begin to fill out the required information.
In part 1, you must state the reason you are filing the Affidavit of Support for the immigration applicant.
1. You must state your name while also indicating your relationship with the applicant.
2. If required, you may have to explain why you are filing this petition in detail.
In box 2, you must provide the information for the principal immigrant, which is the person you are petitioning for.
3. Fill out all of the applicable information, such as the name and address of the subject immigrant.
4. The immigrant may or may not have a social security number or an Alien Registration number.
In box 3, you must list all of the immigrants you are currently sponsoring.
5. Besides names, you will also have to list their relationship to the subject immigrant of this form I-864.
In parts 4 through 7, you must provide detailed information about the immigrant’s sponsor.
6. Besides your basic information, you will also need to provide information about your household size, your income, and your tax return information.
7. This information will be reviewed in conjunction with your Affidavit of Support for the immigrant.
Part 7 will require that you list your major assets held and all of your household’s assets.
8. Ensure that you have all of this information and that it is as accurate as possible. You may need to contact other household members in order to completely fill out these sections of the form I-864.
Finally, in part 8, you are required to sign the sponsor’s contract.
9. The sponsor’s contract is a statement that you understand what it means to be a sponsor for an immigrant, how your assets will be affected for taxation purposes, and when your obligations will end.
10. It is important that you sign and date the certification, as the form I-864 will not be complete.