Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status
INSTRUCTIONS : CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY FOR NON IMMIGRANT (F-1) STUDENT STATUS (Form I-20)
(PAGES 4, 5 and 6 ONLY)
An I-20 form is a document used by the U.S. Department of State for application for a student visa for foreign students to attend a school located in the United States. The form is issued by each school individually and must be submitted to the Department of State before the student may attend.
In this case, we are using the I-20 form provided by Monmouth University. Examples of the I-20 form can be found online or through the particular school a foreign student wishes to attend. .
The first step in completing the form is to provide your personal and contact information in the first section.
1. You must fill in your name, date of birth, gender, country of birth, marital status and country of citizenship.
2. If you will have any dependents living with you during your schooling, you must provide their information in the next section. If you will not have any dependents, leave this section blank.
3. Provide the name, date of birth, country of birth, and relationship for each dependent.
4. Next you must fill in your immigration status information.
5. State whether you are applying for initial status and if you are currently in the United States. If you are in the United States, you must submit your Customs and Immigration admission number.
6. Next, identify your immigration status, whether you have F-1 status or if you have a different status. Indicate if you plan on traveling outside of the United States before your schooling will start.
7. If you are applying for initial status, you must complete section III.
8. Provide your name, address, city, and country. You must complete the form that is sent to you before you can apply for the school.
9. Finally, complete section V, indicating your financial plan for attending the school. Check the appropriate boxes that correspond with your planned method of tuition and board payment.
10. Sign and date the form. When submitted to the school, you may receive additional forms that need to be filled out in order to allow you initial student immigration status to the United States.