A DS 82 form is a document used by the U.S. Department of State for renewing an expired passport. This form can only be used if you currently have your passport, you were over the age of 16 when it was issued, and your name is the same as it appears on the expired passport. In this case, we are using the DS 82 form provided by the United States Department of State. The DS 82 form can be found online or through the Department of State office. The first step in completing the form is to indicate whether you are applying for a passport book, card, or both.
1. In lines 1 through 9, you must provide your name and contact information. Ensure that all information is accurate placing a letter or digit in each individual box, as this is how it will appear on your passport.
2. Provide your name, address, phone number, social security number, and any other names or alias you go by.
3. Next, you must provide the name and information as it appears on your expired passport. Provide this information in box 10 and any name change information in box 11.
4. In the box with a face silhouette, you must staple a 2” x 2” facial picture to your application. Passport photos can be taken at many photography places or you can use your own, as long as it follows the passport photo guidelines.
5. Do not write in the bottom box on page one, it is for official use only.
6. Skip to the second page and again fill in your name and contact information.
7. In lines 12 through 16, you must provide your height, hair color, eye color, occupation and employer or school.
8. Provide an emergency contact in box 19 and any travel plans you may have in box 20.
9. After checking that all pages are signed and certified, send you DS Form 82 to the Department of State along with your expired passport and the required fee.
10. Keep a copy of your form for future reference and wait for your renewed passport to come in the mail.